Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Aubrey and Hazel

Since my last post about Aubrey and Hazel, I have visited the nest 5 times. Recent observations by myself and fellow wildlife photographer Peter Christoph indicate that Hazel may be sitting on eggs. We have seen Aubrey return to the nest then Hazel leave for a brief spell before returning so Aubrey can go off fishing.

April 22nd...I stopped by in the morning shortly before 9am and observed Hazel in the nest. It was overcast and cold, not the best conditions for taking pictures. Aubrey was circling the pond and at one point made a fly-by of the nest then continued off over the trees out of sight. I was able to get one decent shot of him as he flew over.

Aubrey on fly-by. © 2014 David Wornham Photography

After several minutes Hazel left the nest and flew to a tree across the pond some 200 feet away to relieve herself then returned to the nest and perched on a branch. I moved to a spot I had previously found that allowed me to shoot through the trees with a clear view of the nest. She sat only for a few minutes before jumping back into the nest.

Hazel. © 2014 David Wornham Photography
Hazel. © 2014 David Wornham Photography
Hazel. © 2014 David Wornham Photography
Hazel. © 2014 David Wornham Photography
Hazel. © 2014 David Wornham Photography

April 23rd...This morning it was extremely windy and cold, when I arrived at first I did not see Hazel in the nest. Every few seconds I noticed a wing tip appear just above the rim as the wind gusted. I moved to a location part way down the slope to the pond and that's when I saw Aubrey perched in a tree about 50 feet from the nest braving the cold wind. The sky was mostly clear and despite the wind I was able to get a series of photos of him from about 80 feet away.

Aubrey. © 2014 David Wornham Photography
Aubrey. © 2014 David Wornham Photography
Aubrey. © 2014 David Wornham Photography
April 24th...This morning was similar to yesterday, Hazel in the nest and Aubrey perched in the same tree in the middle of the marshy end of the pond 50 feet from the nest. I watched them both for about 10 minutes and took a few photos but nothing new from yesterday. In the afternoon he was seen returning to the nest then Hazel left and flew to a tree across the pond.

Be sure to subscribe to my blog to stay updated with their progress. You can also follow me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/david.wornham or visit my website www.davidwornham.com

No comments:

Post a Comment